We are happy to announce the release of CKEditor 4.11.4. This is a minor release that focuses on improving the memory efficiency of the WYSIWYG editor. It also includes a handful of bug fixes and a major update for Serbian translations. Read on for more!
# Editor memory usage audit
The idea of performing a memory usage audit came up during the last CKSource Xmas Meetup when we were running the traditional Xmas Hackathon. Marek Lewandowski, a core CKEditor team member, used this time to develop a handy tool that checks for memory leaks and assesses the memory usage of the editor. After some polishing, we used the tool to improve the memory efficiency of the editor and CKEditor 4.11.4 brings you the results of this initiative.
You can read more details in the original PR on GitHub.
We plan to continue improving the memory management in CKEditor in the nearest future to deliver even better results. While most of the optimizations were done in this release, there are still a few minor things that can be enhanced in the future. The new tool was also incorporated into our development workflow to continue monitoring the memory efficiency in the rich-text editor.
# Serbian translations updated
Aside from minor changes in a few language versions, CKEditor 4.11.4 brings major updates to Serbian translations (both Latin and Cyrillic). Thanks to the huge effort of Norbert Péity, all Serbian users can fully enjoy using CKEditor in their native language.
CKEditor 4 is now available in 70 language versions thanks to the fantastic community of translators. If you would like to help add a new localization or improve an existing one, join us in the CKEditor UI Translation Center at Transifex. We will be thankful for your contribution!
Thanks again, Norbert!
# Other fixes
Here are some other improvements from this release:
- Resize handler for images inserted with the Enhanced Image plugin will not be visible anymore if the editor is in read-only mode (#2816).
- The resize handler will also be correctly created when you initialize the editor in read-only mode and shown when you make the editor editable again (#2874).
- Justification now works correctly in BR Enter mode (#1479). Standard disclaimer here: Changing the Enter Mode setting to
BRis not recommended.
- The context menu can now be opened over a widget using the Shift+F10 keyboard shortcut (#1901).
- Clipboard paste buttons have a correct state in an editor with a Div Editing Area plugin in read-only mode (#2775).
- WebSpellChecker (WSC) and Spell Check As You Type (SCAYT) plugins were updated to their latest versions.
# Release notes
CKEditor is available under Open Source and Commercial licenses. Full details can be found on our license page.