This article describes the steps you need to take when you want to upgrade your CKEditor 4.x installation to the latest version.
To upgrade CKEditor, proceed as follows:
- Rename your existing editor folder to a backup folder, for example
- Download the latest version from the official CKEditor Download site.
- If you are using one of the pre-defined presets like Standard or Full, download the same one.
- If you created a custom CKEditor build, you have a few options, as described in your backed-up
- You can use the unique link to download the updated version of your custom build using the latest editor release.
- You can use the unique link to online builder pre-loaded with your custom build configuration and using the latest editor release.
- You can go to the online builder site and click the Upload build-config.js button. Select your backed-up custom build configuration file and download the updated build containing the latest versions of all selected plugins.
- Extract (decompress) the downloaded archive to the original editor directory, for example
- Copy all configuration files that you have changed from the backup directory to their corresponding positions in the new directory. These could include (but are not limited to) the following files:
- custom template files
# Further Reading
The following resources discuss related issues:
- The Upgrading from CKEditor 3 article shows how to upgrade from CKEditor 3 to CKEditor 4.
- The Upgrading from FCKeditor article shows how to upgrade from FCKeditor to CKEditor 4.
- The API Changes in CKEditor 4 article describes some API changes between CKEditor 3 and CKEditor 4.
- The Patching Old Versions of CKEditor article explains how to apply a selected patch on your CKEditor installation (warning: unrecommended method, for advanced users only).