Take a product tour
What is Revision History?
Revision History allows CKEditor 5 users to create and view the chronological version history of their content.
- Create and name versions by bundling changes together in a save cycle.
- View the chronological version history of your content in version preview mode.
- Restore an earlier version of your document to easily reverse any changes.
- Compare selected versions to each other and easily view changes between.
Version preview mode allows for easy viewing of content development over time. In preview mode you can track:
- Edits like insertions and deletions, including merges and splits.
- Suggested changes made with the Track Changes feature.
- Total number of changes made.
- Upcoming Real-time collaborative changes.
Bring more efficiency to your rich text editor
Having access to version control right in a WYSIWYG rich text editor allows authors to create content and manage versioning more efficiently.
Choose to create versions automatically by configuring automatic save cycles, or on demand by saving the content manually.
Further customization of the revision history feature as well as the editor makes it the perfect fit for your application’s requirements.
When Revision history is combined with CKEditor 5 Collaboration Features, your application achieves a Google Docs-like writing experience.
- Individuals who would like to version their content progress and need easy version comparison and restoration.
- Handling elaborate documents such as legal contracts, policies or clinical trial reports, whether a document has one author or multiple.
- Managing large documents with multiple authors and reviewers, or with numerous control phases.
Track Changes and Revision History
Revision History can also be used when multiple authors collaborate on content. It works perfectly with CKEditor 5’s track changes feature. Both features help you control and organize the progress of your content, but in their own unique ways:
- Add changes in the editor, which are then tracked and compared in different versions in the preview mode.
- Control all the changes made to the content, including track changes suggestions.
- Track which users made what changes or suggestions.
- Multiple content versions with ability to create, name, compare and restore versions.
- Can be used standalone or together with our track changes feature.
- Add changes in suggestion mode, which are then tracked directly within content.
- Control suggestions made to the content by accepting, rejecting, or replying to them.
- Track who suggested what changes and comment on suggestions.
- Single content version, no ability to create or restore versions.
- Can be used standalone or together with Comments and Revision History.