totally new to fckeditor (and pretty new to web development for that matter - developing my first site and very much learning 'on project') and trying to install and test in an asp.net website using VWD as my development platform. Hopefully I have understood the basic concept correctly - The control will allow me to have an area in a page containing text and photos which when displayed in a web page a user will be able to edit.
I have performed the following steps as per the instructions on the FCKedirot website (assuming I have understood them correctly):
1. Downloaded FCKeditor.Net_2.6.3 and FCKEditor_22.214.171.124 zip files
2. Unzipped all of the files into folders with same names less the zip
3. Copied all of the folders and files from both directories to a folder called fckEditor in the root directory of mt website in VWD
4. Right clicked the website name in Solution Explorer, selected 'Add reference' and browsed to ~\fckEditor\bin\Release\2.0\FredCK.FCKeditorV2.dll
The dll was added to my website ~\bin directory
5. Created a new tab in ToolBox - InPageEditing
6. Rightclicked in the new tab and selected 'Choose Items' and browsed to the same dll as in step 4.
7. Dragged the control to a test page within a content placeholder
I get the control on the page and I get a properties box all of which make sense except that I would have expected the 'ToolbarSet' property to provide some
options rather than just 'Default'
I cannot get any text into the box??
I don't see how I can enable editing only for a user logged into my site with a particiular role?
8. Opened the test page in my browser (Firefox 3.5) - I get an HTTP 404 error.
9. I get the same results if I browse to the website ~\bin directory in step 6 rather than te path in step 4.
I guess I am missing something pretty basic here -- but what?
I wondered about recompling the .dll -- but don't know how
I'd really appreciate some help from more experienced folk.
Difficulty installing correctly :(
Re: Difficulty installing correctly :(
Well, I seem to be having difficulty with the forum as well as i am sure I posted some of this already!
Discovered I had not in fact copied the editor folder over. Having done so the error goes away and when I view a page containing the control I get a text area containing the Value property of the control and the editor toolbars.
I have altered the text and formatted it but for the life of me I cannot see how this is stored, where and how it is broght back to the page next time the page is loaded.
I seem to have a complete blank spot with this control - I cannot get my head round it at all
In VWD I see nothing in design view except the box with FCKeditorV2 - FCKeditor1 showing. Surely I should seee whatever content the control has available for editing?
OR - I should be able to configure where the content being controlled is stored and 'bind' the control to it?
I have tried reading the documentation but I am not finding it very helpful.