This is a rough FAQ for CKEditor. As you can see it will refer you several times to the Developer's guide and the API documentation.
This guide is now overriden by the the CKEditor 3 HOWTO in the documentation site. Now the questions will link directly to the corresponding page.
If your question isn't here, don't reply to this post. Search the forum, search the net and if you are unable to find anything then create a new post.
Changing the appearance
Q: How do I remove the name of elements at the bottom of the editor (Spot 1)?
Q: How do I remove the ability to resize the editor (Spot 2)?
Q: How do I remove the collapsing button of the toolbar (Spot 3)?
Q: How do I change the buttons in the toolbar?
Q: How do I change the contents of the 'Style' combo?
Q: How do I use the Styles combo to use classes?
Q: Why I can't use the styles combo with an image or a table or ...?
Q: How do I upload files/images with CKEditor?
Q: How do I make CKEditor output HTML code instead of XHTML (no '/>')?
Q: How do I change the contents of the xyz dialog?
Q: How do I set the default value for the xyz field in the zyx dialog?
Q: How do I know the name of the fields in the xyz dialog?
Q: Where can I find a plugin to do xyz in CKEditor?
A: Use the CKEditor 3 Plugins subforum
Q: How can I write a plugin?
A: First, read the official docs linked at the top. Knowing where the API is documented will provide answer to most of the questions. Check also the design architecture
These are some links to guides written by users, they contain different information explained in different ways, so if one is too easy for you maybe you feel better reading the other ones, and on the other side you can find that some guides are too long or complex for your question, but be assured that all of them can be useful so give them a look.
- long explanation trying to cover all the elements about creating a plugin for CKEditor
- another full explanation about plugins. Be warned that the page is automatically translated to your language, so it can be quite hard to understand what it says.
- another explanation of how to create a basic plugin and place it outside the CKEditor structure
- yet another one
- Basic explanation of a plugin and usage of iframeDialog
- using the iframeDialog
- simple guide
- modify Link dialog
- take a look at the posts, most of the ones that might interest you are marked as Tutorial, but others can be useful too.
- adding your entries to the context-menu