Since 2009 CKEditor has been paired with one of the best WYSIWYG spell checking tools on the market courtesy of WebSpellChecker.net. Now CKSource’s partnership has expanded, further merging the cooperation of both companies. Many, however, may not be aware that CKEditor’s SpellChecker has additional professional solutions.
The following article will explain how CKEditor and WebSpellChecker.net are cooperating and offer some insight on how you can improve your CKEditor SpellChecker experience.
Did you know?
- CKEditor’s SpellChecker tool is actually a third-party app. It’s the only plugin in CKEditor’s core that isn’t entirely maintained by CKSource developers.
- The SpellChecker tool is actually two plugins in one: SpellCheckAsYouType (SCAYT) and WebSpellChecker (WSC).
- CKEditor’s SpellChecker can be freely used, whether you have the Open Source version of CKEditor or a commercial license.
- In the free version, the SpellChecker needs to access WebSpellChecker.net servers to check spelling.
- SpellChecker’s ads can be removed by purchasing the SpellChecker’s Hosted Services or Licensed Version.
- The SpellChecker engine and dictionaries can be hosted on your server if you choose the Licensed Version.
- 120+ additional languages can be added to both the Licensed Version or Hosted Services to extend the default set of 16 languages included in the free version.
- CKSource can directly handle the purchase of both products. For more details visit our SpellChecker solution page…
Benefits of Commercial Options
The Licensed Version of the SpellChecker is installed on the client’s server, be it in a corporate Intranet or behind a firewall. This gives you unparalleled control over data and security. With the Licensed Version you gain the ability to customize the user interface and administrate dictionaries.
Hosted Services remove the popup and banner that appear while using both SpellCheckAsYouType (SCAYT) and WebSpellChecker (WSC).
SpellChecker Customization Tips
- Automatically load SCAYT after starting CKEditor
- Define the number of SCAYT suggestions shown in the context menu
- Set the customer ID in the Hosted version of SCAYT
- Set the default spell checking language for SCAYT
- Enable/disable the "More Suggestions" sub-menu in the context menu
- And much more...
As you can see, CKEditor’s SpellChecker can be further expanded with additional options and WebSpellChecker.net solutions offered by CKSource. The tool can be adapted to meet professional requirements with unparalleled control over data and security. Now that you know a bit more how CKEditor's SpellChecker works, we hope your project can make full use of the editor's spell checking tool. Please let us know what you think about this article by leaving comments below.