CKEditor Weekly for June 29, 2015
Here is your CKEditor weekly update. We are almost there – CKEditor and CKFinder major releases will be out this week! We are also very close to the first major release of Accessibility Checker. Read on for more.
CKEditor in Review
Having finished the testing phase, the CKEditor team focused on samples and documentation and giving the final touch to the code. We are really excited – now it is downhill all the way to the releases of CKEditor 4.4.8 and 4.5.
While CKEditor 4.4.8 is mostly focused on optimisation and bug fixes, version 4.5 comes with 10 new plugins, which bring new exciting features to the editor eg. uploading pasted and dropped images, embedding rich media into editor content and nested widgets.
Both releases are scheduled for this week and they will be announced on our blog.
The final release of CKFinder 3 is scheduled for this week. Last week we were able to:
- Improve the design of dialog windows for Copying/Moving Files.
- Fix compatibility with mobile devices when CKFinder is launched in a modal dialog window.
- Fix refreshing the list of folders when
- Make viewing rendered thumbnails more user friendly.
- Fix the look of select/radio elements in the Settings Panel.
- Make maximized CKFinder window less confusing while editing images.
- Fix issues with uploading images in IE9.
- Fix compatibility issues with running inside Private Window in Safari.
- Improve caching of image previews, especially important on cloud backends. Caching period is now configurable.
- Fix issue with the Image Edit feature creating incorrect images (PNG files with JPG extension are no longer created).
We are approaching the date of the first major release of the CKEditor web accessibility checking feature. Last week we were able to:
- Add an extra assessment
imgWithEmptyAltthat is detecting decorative images and reminds the user that empty alternative text should only be used for decorative images.
ImgAltQuick Fix - it will now allow setting empty alternative text.
- Add an extra Quick Fix
ImgAltthat will not allow empty alternative text.
Around the Net
- A new case study, which elaborates why WeSustain chose CKEditor as its WYSIWYG text editor of choice for their enterprise sustainability management system, has been published on the CKSource website.
- Layout Manager - this plugin adds various grids.
- Base widget plugin - this plugin allows you to use, reuse, override and define functions. It also lets you decide which nested functions will be exucted in the base.
That sums up the last week. If you would like to be featured in one of our CKEditor Weeklies, or have an interesting tidbit that relates to CKEditor, leave a comment below or contact us.
Have a great week ahead!