CKEditor Weekly for January 14, 2014
We're back with another edition of CKEditor Weekly. The team is getting ready for the next release (CKEditor 4.3.2), there's news on CKEditor 4.4, CKEditor 5 and the online Builder now includes a cool new feature! Read on for details...
CKEditor in review
- The team just closed the CKEditor 4.3.2 milestone so a release is imminent - maybe next week. 4.3.2 is going to be a maintenance release with a few fixes, which you can view here.
- As of now, when creating a custom CKEditor via the online Builder, an additional file called build-config.js is included in the ckeditor root folder. The file can be used to recreate your custom build on the aforementioned page. It's useful when you're about to download a new CKEditor version and don't want to manually add every plugin to your build.
The way it works: Just go to the online Builder page, click on the Upload build-config.js button (top-right corner) and upload the file in question. This will load up your previous plugins!
- Focus is now shifting to CKEditor 4.4, which will introduce important changes. For starters, Paste from Word will get a major review to improve performance. Additionally, image drag & dropping will be introduced that will allow seamless image embedding from desktop to the WYSIWYG area. Currently, CKEditor has to rely on third-party plugins.
- CKEditor 5 is building more steam in the planning phase. This important version will bring much needed mobile compatibility improvements.
- We're excited about the Quail project. We hope to participate on it, helping improve the accessibility of online content around the world.
Around the Net
- Cast Iron Coding released an integration module for TYPO3, an Open Source CMS with a scalable web application framework.
That's it for this week. If you would like to be featured in one of our CKEditor Weeklies, or have an interesting tidbit that relates to CKEditor, leave a comment below or contact us!