CKEditor Biweekly for September 12, 2016
We have been away for a longer while. Since summer is almost completely gone, we are back and ready to give you the latest update on our projects. Find out more about our progress with the upcoming releases of CKEditor. Read on for more!
CKEditor in Review
We are happy to announce the release of CKEditor 4.5.11. Although it is a minor release, it contains two new features (including a long overdue one!) and some important bug fixes, like a fix for image pasting in Microsoft Edge. Read on for more information!
We would like to release CKEditor 4.6 by the end of October. It will come with a completely re-written Paste from Word feature (which will be a huge step forward for all copy and paste operations from Microsoft applications) and a completely new default skin to visually enhance your editing experience. Depending on resources, we hope to squeeze in a few new features as well, so stay tuned!
CKEditor 5 v0.2.0 has been released. This second developer preview has been focused on refactoring the code and general project cleanup (that is why this release contains over 170 closed tickets). We began working on iteration 3. You can read more about its scope in Planning: Iteration 3.
The most important bits are:
- The first version of the link feature has been released. It has been preceded by a research on UI/UX – you can check the discussions.
- The list feature is under development. It triggered a nontrivial discussion about lists representation in the data model. The outcome was positive and we are now implementing this feature.
- We started working on compatibility with more browsers (so far we tested the editor only in Chrome).
- We are constantly working on bringing documentation to life. We are about to merge a pull request with the initial version of documentation builder – a tool which we will use to compile a website with all kinds of resources (samples, guides, API docs, etc.).
Around the Net
- Our August Add-on of the Month was Simple HTML 5 Audio and this month it is PBCKCode Editor.
- An article on how to create a custom spoiler plugin for CKEditor.
- CKBuilder written fully in Node.js.
- A blog post about CKEditor Anchor Link Module in Drupal 8.
- Drupal 8 How To - CKEditor Custom Styles.
- The following new plugins were added to the CKEditor Add-ons Repository:
This sums up the last two months actually.
If you would like to be featured in one of our CKEditor updates, or have an interesting tidbit that relates to CKEditor, leave a comment below or contact us.
See you again in two weeks - this time for real ;)