CKEditor Biweekly for March 30, 2016
External factors prevented us from giving you an update two weeks ago. Worry no more - here is the latest CKEditor update. We continue to work on CKEditor versions 4.5.8 and 4.6 and at the same time steadily progressing with CKEditor 5. The preview version of CKFinder 3.3 for ASP.NET was also released. Read on!
CKEditor in Review
We are preparing for the minor 4.5.8 release which is already undergoing tests at this very moment. This is going to be a relatively small release, with a few bug fixes and one new feature: the
config.colorButton_enableAutomatic option to allow hiding the "Automatic" option in the color picker.
Apart from this, we are working hard on the next major release. The already much-acclaimed Paste from Word feature just got a huge rewrite, and it is now being reviewed. In addition to this, some pretty exciting new features are going to land in CKEditor 4.6, so stay tuned!
Last few weeks were very productive for the CKEditor 5 team:
- We decided to split CKEditor core into UI and Engine, since these two parts work interdependently of one another. We also extracted common utilities to a separate repository and moved core classes which implement the base architecture to the main CKEditor 5 repository.
- Besides splitting, we also started to glue relevant parts together to create an editor with all necessary pieces. From the very beginning CKEditor 5 will be able to transform not only one, but multiple editable areas into a single editor.
- Thanks to having it all glued together, we were able to check what we have been missing in order to run the first sample. The most important parts missing are the selection handling and conversion (from the model to the view and from the view to the model). We have spent the last few weeks prototyping converters to solve various cases and obtained code which is as simple as possible, yet flexible enough to solve all problems. Now we just need to polish it. This week we have also started working on the selection.
- At the same time the first CKEditor 5 theme has been introduced as a result of the public discussion. Say hello to Lark !
CKFinder 3.3 for PHP was released two weeks ago. This is the next major release for the new CKFinder 3 line that introduces the much-awaited Microsoft Azure remote storage support, the new Bosnian localization and huge performance improvements for folders with hundreds of files.
In addition to that, we are happy to present the preview version of CKFinder 3.3 for ASP.NET. This is the first CKFinder 3 release of the ASP.NET connector and we hope to have the stable version ready quite soon. Check out the following resources for more information:
- CKFinder 3.3 for ASP.NET preview page with online demos and installation package to download
- CKFinder 3 for ASP.NET server-side documentation
Your feedback will be much appreciated, so check out the demos, install the package and let us know what you think by filling out the survey. As a bonus, you will get a discount code, too :)
Web nominations : Winner CKSource Accessibility Checker— Global Elevate Award (@GlobalElevate) 3 marca 2016
Runner up @Sitecues..
We are proud to announce that our Accessibility Checker has received the 2016 Global Elevate Award in the Web category! This award celebrates innovations that can change the lives of people with disabilities and senior citizens. We were very excited to hear this news.
Stay tuned for more exciting updates related to our Accessibility Checker coming soon!
Around the Net
- The following new plugin was added to the CKEditor Add-ons Repository:
- CKEditor for Mendix v2.0.4 released
This sums up the last few weeks.
If you would like to be featured in one of our CKEditor Biweeklies, or have an interesting tidbit that relates to CKEditor, leave a comment below or contact us.
Have a great week ahead!