CKEditor Biweekly for May 16, 2016
Here is the latest CKEditor update. Find out more about the latest release of CKEditor 4 and our progress on CKEditor 5. In other news: We are getting ready to celebrate Global Accessibility Awareness Day this week. Read on for more!
CKEditor in Review
We are happy to announce the release of CKEditor 4.5.9. This is a minor release that includes some bug fixes, including updates to the CKEditor builder. This is good news especially for Drupal 8 users, since this release introduces three fixes that were originally reported by the Drupal community.
Find out more from this CKEditor 4.5.9 release blog post.
The release of CKEditor 4.6 has been rescheduled to the end of May. We are working on a brand new CKEditor 4 skin which will refresh your editing experience! It will accompany this release and cover all CKEditor 4 features as well as the Accessibility Checker.
For the last two weeks part of the team was involved in maintenance tasks, while the other part was working hard on closing the selection rendering and conversion. However, we are a few steps closer to the first milestone:
- Converter builders were introduced. They implement a high-level API for created converters between the model and the view.
- Utils for testing the editing view were implemented. This allowed us to simplify many existing tests and speed up testing the view.
- Two issues required by the typing feature were closed – the diffToChanges() function and change buffer.
- Simple DOM utils were implemented.
- We have split the
utils.jsfile into many small modules.
Other than that we are close to finishing a couple of other tasks:
- The first creator is nearly on review.
- Undo manager is on review and a part of it was already merged.
- CKEditor 5 builder has been modified in a way that will enable CKEditor 5 to become other project's dependency. Previously CKEditor 5 could only be built in standalone mode.
We are happy to announce that CKFinder 3.3 for ASP.NET is now available!
This represents a huge milestone in the development of CKFinder, the powerful and easy to use file manager for the Web, as version 3 will now be available with two server-side connectors: PHP and ASP.NET.
We will be sharing some great news and content with you this week as we celebrate Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2016. Stay tuned and make sure that you follow CKSource social media accounts as well as the #gaad hashtag which will be trending globally on Thursday 19th of May 2016.
Editor Recommendations Project
We have launched the Editor Recommendations Project on GitHub to solve some of the problems currently faced by both editor developers and implementers who want to introduce content editing into their systems.
We already managed to gather the most important editor features in one place and now it is time to get more specific regarding their funcionality and recommend best practices.
We count on your active participation in this project, so please share your ideas and best practices in the Editor Recommendations Project repository!
Around the Net
- Our May add-on of the Month is LoopIndex Track Changes Plugin.
- Interesting talk with Mike Gifford (Drupal developer and its core accessibility maintainer) on accessibility.
- Speaking of Drupal: 4 New CKEditor Plugins for Drupal 8 by Darryll Norris and a comprehensive article about adding CKEditor plugins to Drupal 8.
- The following new plugins were added to the CKEditor Add-ons Repository:
This sums up the last two weeks.
If you would like to be featured in one of our CKEditor Biweeklies, or have an interesting tidbit that relates to CKEditor, leave a comment below or contact us.
Have a great week ahead!